Fuji X100 User Setup Preferences

Mine is setup almost exactly like yours Boid, except for AUTO ISO at 3200, and RAW only. I make heavy use of the exposure comp dial (and aperture ring obvisouly) but apart from that I rarely fiddle with the menus or buttons.

Me, too, on the exposure compensation dial and, yes, the aperture ring... I hadn't used this camera in quite a while until the other day. It was so good to feel it and see "through" it again.

Brand new X100 owner here, and I have a question, which is of course what made me creep out of the woodwork, find this thread, and register. I created 2 custom settings, and I assigned them to the Fn button just for kicks. I selected one of them (ISO 6400, which I figured would be nice to have handy because I shoot in low light a lot). I'm having a hard time to get the camera to go back to Auto ISO. I can go back into the shooting menu and tell it "auto, dammit" but it still displays ISO 6400 on the EVF / Screen until I press the shutter halfway. I thought "well that's odd but ok, I guess it IS in auto."

I then went outside into the blazing sunshine and shot a few of a motorcycle parked on the street. With the F Stop and the Shutter speed on auto, it took pictures than appeared to be ok. But when I cranked the F stop down to 2, it couldn't help but over expose the shot. That led me to look at the ISO, and it was shooting at 6400. I manually popped it down to ISO 200, and shots suddenly worked fine.

How do I get OUT of custom settings?

Much like the frustrating decision Fuji made to not offer the Auto option at the end of the ISO quick list (Fn Button), they didn't offer an "Exit" or some such option on the Custom Settings list.

P.S. This camera is wonderful.

First of all, welcome KillRamsey and thanks for jumping right in and posting a question. I'm embarrassed to say that I am a bit out of practice of late with my X100 and am not 100% sure how to answer your question. I don't use the fn button for any custom setting except to reach the ISO selection in general. I have used Auto ISO but usually only use that option if I am in a situation in which I feel that the lighting is going to be changing...or is low light.

Now I feel as though I need to reread this whole thread to remind myself about the whole technical side of Auto ISO, etc. Perhaps someone else will be more helpful and be able to answer your specific questions more directly?

In the meantime, it's great that you found your way here and please consider stopping by the Welcomes and Introductions forum where everyone will see your post and say hello.;)

People are already moving on to something else? I guess you guys are a bit more avid than I am. Also I got mine a bit late, but then I have the latest software on it already, which seems to be a good thing - a lot of the comments and reviews I could find were EARLY, and when I was reading about things they longed for, I kept saying "but it does that." Software.

I'll go say Hi in the proper place, but I still have questions. Lens cap options (tethered), adaptors for filters, that sorta thing.

Check out the Accessories and Technical subforums where you should see quite a bit of info on filters, lens caps and different methods that various people have employed.

I haven't moved on from the X100 and neither have quite a few others here. I do also own the X10, as well. I love 'em both! My problem is that I've had the camera since its early days and have gotten to the point that I don't think about anything except aperture, ISO and exposure compensation.:D

It's been a while since I've been shooting with the X100 and I've grown comfortable with the way I have setup the camera. I have this nagging suspicion that I might have not set it up to perform at it's best. Some setup decisions are to do with the way one shoots, and some tweaks just make for better pictures in this camera. I'll try and list my setup as methodically as possible, indicating the reasons why ..................../QUOTE]

Thanks Rajiv (Boid) for your detailed & well laid out setup list. I've printed it out & where your settings differ from my current ones will try the ones you suggest. Though I've used digital cameras fo many years, I've only had the X100 about 3 weeks.
I found articles/videos by Steve Huff & Ken Rockwell on the X100 very useful & informative.

People are already moving on to something else? I guess you guys are a bit more avid than I am. Also I got mine a bit late, but then I have the latest software on it already, which seems to be a good thing - a lot of the comments and reviews I could find were EARLY, and when I was reading about things they longed for, I kept saying "but it does that." Software.

I'll go say Hi in the proper place, but I still have questions. Lens cap options (tethered), adaptors for filters, that sorta thing.

I agree about the software issue. Re folks moving quickly on, there will always be a minority who do this, no problem. Any camera is a tool. In the case of a camera its function is to take photos. Ok it's fun & informative to discuss F nos, ISO settings etc. But hey, the real joy is going out there & taking photos. Print out the best ones. Show the results to your family, friends, etc. Thats what it's about, whether you have a Canon, Nikon, Fuji or whatever.

Back