Fuji X100 Very Slow Startup

Sue, I hear you on using the iPad for temporary storage and transferring from iPad to main computer. I just can't bring myself to trust the fragile little iPad to be the only repository on a trip. But that's just old/conservative me. When we take our two-week family holiday to the New Jersey shore this summer, a laptop and portable external hard drive will be part of the kit - really just for storage. Cumbersome, but when photos of children and grandchildren are involved, drastic measures must be taken!

Sue, I hear you on using the iPad for temporary storage and transferring from iPad to main computer. I just can't bring myself to trust the fragile little iPad to be the only repository on a trip. But that's just old/conservative me. When we take our two-week family holiday to the New Jersey shore this summer, a laptop and portable external hard drive will be part of the kit - really just for storage. Cumbersome, but when photos of children and grandchildren are involved, drastic measures must be taken!
Chuck,

I don't have a laptop. For this New York trip, I invested in one of these:

Wolverine PicPac II 250GB Digital Camera and Camcorder 7625 B&H

After every shoot, I upload images to the ipad and then stick the card in this drive and back up all of the files before I put the card back in the camera and reformat it. Its easy, its relatively quick, it takes up very little space. If all goes well, I'll never use those files - I'll just upload from the ipad to the Mac when I get back. But if the ipad should somehow fail on me, I've got 'em. I tried it out before I left home and it works well and easily. All of the files are right there. Just something to consider.

Oh, and on the off chance of tsunami or some other catastrophe that leaves ALL storage dead but, somehow, me still alive, I'm posting a lot of shots to Flickr as an extra measure of security.

Where and when are you at the Shore? We're spending the bulk of June on LBI...

-Ray

Ray, my Philadelphia-based family has been vacationing in Ocean City for several generations, and my Texas-raised kids love it there as much as I do. I think our "cruise director" has set up a rental for late-July/early August. Can't wait!

Thanks for the tip on the storage device. I have a "picture safe" of some sort in a drawer around here somewhere; may need to consider an upgrade.

Okay, one last set of findings (pretty narrow subset of forum members would be affected:

1. iPad will NOT read an SD card that's locked, so that won't avoid the problem.
2. After uploading to iPad, X100 will have significant delay in starting - not just the first time after re-inserting the card but every time. However, if I then upload from card to my iMac, the card will start immediately upon re-insertion into X100! Conclusion is that iPad sets a bit or two that iMac comes back and resets. Crazy, but demonstrated twice.

Okay, thanks for indulging me on this esoteric subject. I know what I need to do to work around it.

I should point out that I'm still using an original iPad, having skipped the 2 and waiting to see how some of the issues with the 3 are resolved.

AFAIAC there are no issues for the average user. If you are a gamer who wants to play 3D kill everything that moves, or flight sim games, you'll get hot. Otherwise not. Don't know if anything else has surfaced, but it sure hasnt for me. I love my new iPad (I had the iPad1 as well, and this is a hell of a step up)

WiFi connectivity issues noted, especially on WiFi only models. Not sure how serious a concern.

I've had none since switching to my elderly AEBS to do the routing; my ipad is just a 16G wifi only model (I have a 3G mifi gadget so no need to commit to another SIm for an ipad, same as with the original ipad.). I must confess that when I was using my Billion 7404VGP, I did have issues, but that, it seems, had nothing to do with the ipad and everyhting to do with the Billion. Since disabling wifi in the modem, and connecting the AEBS to do its work, I have had a really solid connection... for ipad, iphone, AppleTV, and most of all for calibre to talk to my iphone and ipad Stanza for ebook transfers. That had been dead to me for a couple of years, and I just never suspected the built in wifi in the Billion (which is a bit of a pest, I've had the old AEBS in the cupboard for 6 years!)

I have just tried it with my new iPad 3, no problems to transfer files from a locked SD card, RAW and JPEG. Also no problems to transfer files to the iPad with the camera's USB cable.

I have just tried it with my new iPad 3, no problems to transfer files from a locked SD card, RAW and JPEG. Also no problems to transfer files to the iPad with the camera's USB cable.

Well, you're the lucky one - those of us with ipad1 (me) and ipad2 (Ray) haven't been so fortunate. I also found several references in various forums (fora?) to similar problems with locked cards, so it's not that unusual. I may try with some other card brands just for the heck of it.

I've never tried to use the camera cable connector; that would require me to find the camera cable....:redface:

I've had none since switching to my elderly AEBS to do the routing; my ipad is just a 16G wifi only model (I have a 3G mifi gadget so no need to commit to another SIm for an ipad, same as with the original ipad.). I must confess that when I was using my Billion 7404VGP, I did have issues, but that, it seems, had nothing to do with the ipad and everyhting to do with the Billion. Since disabling wifi in the modem, and connecting the AEBS to do its work, I have had a really solid connection... for ipad, iphone, AppleTV, and most of all for calibre to talk to my iphone and ipad Stanza for ebook transfers. That had been dead to me for a couple of years, and I just never suspected the built in wifi in the Billion (which is a bit of a pest, I've had the old AEBS in the cupboard for 6 years!)

I'm afraid I don't recognize half the terms and acronyms in this post....but I'm sure you're right....:confused:

Well, you're the lucky one - those of us with ipad1 (me) and ipad2 (Ray) haven't been so fortunate. I also found several references in various forums (fora?) to similar problems with locked cards, so it's not that unusual.

My iPad 1 works just as well, as expected. So whatever problems others may experience, they have to be related to Apple.

Well, you're the lucky one - those of us with ipad1 (me) and ipad2 (Ray) haven't been so fortunate. I also found several references in various forums (fora?) to similar problems with locked cards, so it's not that unusual. I may try with some other card brands just for the heck of it.

I've never tried to use the camera cable connector; that would require me to find the camera cable....:redface:

I'm using an iPad 3 and my wife an iPad 1. Both on iOS 5.1. We just did two weeks travel, with both iPads, shot over 700 pics with the X100, no locking the card (although I used to, stopped when I forgot a few times and found the camera had no issues with start up). I've never had an issue with imports or camera slowdown at start-up either locked or unlocked. Reformat maybe every other import, sometimes less frequently.

Using a 16gb SanDisk 95mpbs card. For me, the iPad is no different than any other computing device.

I never did resolve this completely, but I've changed my workflow to get around it. I really think I ought to replace my classic iPad with the new version, but my wife doesn't agree... ;-)

Really happy, though, that no one else is encountering the issue. Thanks for the update!

Chuck,

I have not read the entire post. Have you tried another card? Though I agree there are posts all over the web about issues with the iPad writing to the card and messing with startup times, they tend to be old, as in old firmware, and repetitive, as in perhaps a population of 2 OPP's. Based on my experience, one of the first iPads sold and my new one, I simply have never seen this issue.

Though I certainly have seen buggy start times, especially when coming out of sleep. Does not seem to matter if the card has just been formatted or what card I use.

Back