1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

X70? = X100S-viewfinder - would anyone be interested?

Discussion in 'Fuji X100 Forum' started by theoldsmithy, Sep 27, 2013.

1. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy SC Top Veteran

Jan 7, 2013
    Herefordshire, England
    Martin Connolly
  2. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
  3. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I think there would be a market for it depending on how much cheaper it is. For me losing the viewfinder would be a dealbreaker. I also don't like it losing one stop going from 2.0 to 2.8 and getting smaller is either a plus or a minus based on personal preference.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ean10775

ean10775 SC Regular

Feb 25, 2013
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    If it still had the same high ISO performance of the X100S I don't think I'd mind the drop to f2.8 provided that the lens was sharp wide open. I agree though that the loss of the viewfinder would put me off it, but then neither the Nikon A, Ricoh GR nor the RX-1 have viewfinders (stock) and if that's the market it would be going after perhaps it makes sense.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Prototype

Prototype SC Veteran

Jul 9, 2010
    Illinois
    Brian
    There is certainly a market, Luke. I've been waiting for something like this and while the GR comes close, I'd prefer a 23mm or 27mm for an everyday lens over the GR's 18.3mm. Neither the lack of a viewfinder nor the f/2.8 lens bothers me. I don't mind taking photos with the DP2 Merrill in low light settings, but I'd like some color photos in my collection! I think X-Trans is the answer. Given that the rumors are accurate, this is a likely buy for me.*

*I'd also like to see what Olympus has brewing on a large-sensor fixed-prime front. If they release a similar product with a 17mm f/2.8, then it will be a tough decision.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    I don't see why there should be a drop from 2.8 to 2 if Fuji will be taking the hybrid VF out. Taking the VF should make the camera relatively smaller already. Like Prototype, I'd love to see a 35mm EFL fixed lens small camera (that is cheaper than a RX1).

• Like Like x 2
  7. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    The lack of a viewfinder gives me pause. I already have an XF1 (I realize it's a much smaller sensor) and I can already put a 17mm or 20mm prime on my Oly E-PM2 and get pretty much the same results - and still have the option to add an EVF if I want. But I suspect there are enough people would would be interested in such a camera: Look at the market reaction to both the Nikon A and Ricoh GR.

8. flysurfer

flysurfer SC Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2011
    People love small cameras with great IQ, see RX1 and RX100, and Sony will soon announce an RX10 to compete with Nikon's A and the Pentax/Ricoh GR. So a very small and more affordable X100 derivate could be attractive. Done right, it could be the world's smallest APS-C camera, but with extremely good IQ.

• Like Like x 1
  9. hoodlum

hoodlum New to SC

Aug 1, 2012
    The Sony RX10 will also be announced in October. No word yet on the lens specs for this APS-C sensor.

10. Yeats

Yeats SC All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    Chris
    I'd be interested in any FF mirrorless with IBIS.

11. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
  12. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue