Fuji XF1 SOOC JPEG samples

flysurfer

Hall of Famer
I received my XF1 production sample yesterday. Even though the weather was pretty dull today (and I'm still sick with the flu), I did get out for an hour or two and shoot a few SOOC samples. The camera feels pretty much like an X10.

Below is a link to the Flickr set with my first samples, everything was uploaded in full-size (the camera was set to size M in order to get EXR working). No post-processing whatsoever.

XF1 Flickr set (SOOC JPEGs)

This is basically a X10 with more female appeal. With the X10, you can go out hiking or globetrotting, with the XF1, you can go to the opera or a fashion show. Optically, it's pretty good, I can't complain about my pimp-red review sample. However, I have heard of a few bad samples with problems especially in the upper-right part of the image, I have also seen examples of this in a German forum, so as usual, YMMV.

I'm a guy, and I love the concept of this camera, basically everything about it. It was at the top of my list for a few minutes, but I had one issue with it....

The bokeh seems REALLY processed to me, and kind of jarring. I realize it's mostly the lens, and there's not much processing which would apply to the bokeh, but it just doesnt feel right to me.

Anyone else able or want to comment on this?

I'm a guy, and I love the concept of this camera, basically everything about it. It was at the top of my list for a few minutes, but I had one issue with it....

The bokeh seems REALLY processed to me, and kind of jarring. I realize it's mostly the lens, and there's not much processing which would apply to the bokeh, but it just doesnt feel right to me.

Anyone else able or want to comment on this?

I have a feeling that Rico is the only person who has had any real experience with this one.

I was momentarily tempted but was unimpressed with the way the whole thing works... pulling the lens out, then twisting to switch on? too fussy for me. In any case it has died in the ass over here in Oz (and I think elsewhere as well) the prices are stupid low. But, I am still not tempted at all (well, maybe a bit, having chronic GAS)

I am constantly toying with the idea of getting a XF1 (and many other cameras/lenses). The sensor in it is the same as the X10's. But obviously a different lens. On the X10, there is a pro focus feature which artificially creates additional blur on the background surrounding the subject to create a shallow DOF look. Is that what you are referring to?

I am constantly toying with the idea of getting a XF1 (and many other cameras/lenses). The sensor in it is the same as the X10's. But obviously a different lens. On the X10, there is a pro focus feature which artificially creates additional blur on the background surrounding the subject to create a shallow DOF look. Is that what you are referring to?

I'll try to use these to compare:

The XF1
YDSCF6419.JPG

The RX100
7710932236_9f4e674c77_h.jpg

The top image is the first extreme use of bokeh I had seen on the XF1, a lot of the pictures in this thread arent quite as harsh as this though. I wonder what the difference could be.

And apparently I just read that the aperture uses only 6 blades, which might have an effect on it. X10 has more.

The top photo seems to have a lot of DOF to begin with. So the out of focus area is not that much out of focus relative to the RX100. Plus, foliage generally makes out of focus areas look unattractive. That being said, I don't think Fuji designed the XF1 in mind for shallow DOF photography -- even though it may have marketed it in such a manner. For a truly creamy out of focus area, gotta go with a Zeiss 50 Sonnar, which is a totally different animal of course.

Back