BillN

Hall of Famer
Name
Bill
Morning Folks

The new XS-1 versus the older HS20

the XS-1 is almost 3 times the price of the HS20 - in the UK - £600 versus £225

has anyone had both

I'm more interested in the longer end, (the zoom at 500mm+ equivalent if you like)

OK the build quality of the XS-1 is better but what about the IQ etc.

I've read most of the reports and the entertaining UTuble vids - but which would you buy?

I have played with both and the XS-1 feels a much nicer camera. It feels better quality than the HS20 and the screen and sensor/image quality will be better. Prices will fall over the next few months and don't forget there is an HS 30 coming very soon.

Supposedly the HS30 is not a great improvment for a 50% price hike - and apparently it "dose not do RAW"

I really want it for birding, (for extended reach, as the actress said to the bishop, over the equ 450mm I get with my Nikon 70-300 VR), and and cannot decide between the following
XS1
HS20
Sigma 150 500 OS to plug into my D300

I decide what I want and then another alternative is announced

the Nikon prime 300mm f4 with a 1.4TC would be nice - but when taking BIF - I find I have to start at the short end, say 150mm and then zoom up to the max 450mm equ - to get them in view

Probably I need the XS1 and the Sigma and maybe the 300mm f4 for tripod work ..£££££ .... then I start looking at 400mm and 500mm Nikon - that come in at £3000 plus new/used - this photography business is a worry

Bill,

Are you looking to replace your D300? If so I'm not sure you'll be happy with either of them, but the XS-1 is supposed to have better IQ and much better build quality than the HS20. And if you're just looking for something lighter for when you don't want to carry the DSLR then the HS20 might make more sense (730gr against 920gr for the X-S1).

Just my two eurocents.

EDIT : hadn't read your last post when I posted that.

Bill,

Are you looking to replace your D300? If so I'm not sure you'll be happy with either of them, but the XS-1 is supposed to have better IQ and much better build quality than the HS20. And if you're just looking for something lighter for when you don't want to carry the DSLR then the HS20 might make more sense (730gr against 920gr for the X-S1).

Just my two eurocents.

EDIT : hadn't read your last post when I posted that.

Morning Julien

I'm keeping my D300 - I just love it - everything about it - even the size - the only comment that I would make is that, with bird images, I have to megga crop quite a lot - plus use high ISO/high shutter speeds/f8 to get reasonable images of birds in flight and also small birds that dart around - megga crop plus high ISO = lots of noise - so maybe a D400 .......

The only other solution is to buy a "camouflage hide" plus a 400mm Nikon - then sit in the middle of a wood for hours and hours hoping that one of those little fellows will not notice me.

Cheers

Well I haven't tried the two bridges cameras myself but I expect that what you'll gain in reach you'll lose in relative IQ. An idea would be a m4/3 camera like the GH2 + the Panasonic 100-300 which would work like a 400mm or 450mm would on your Nikon, while retaining a good IQ.

Maybe the simpler (but more costly) solution is to get the Sigma 150-500 now, and upgrade the D300 when the D400 comes out (if it comes with the Sony 24mp sensor like I expect, it'll be great for your needs).

FWIW, I traded in my Siggy 150-500 in against a Nikon 300/4 which I now use +/- a 1.7x TC. The TC I bought used.

The Siggy was soft at the long end; on the other hand, the 300/4 with 1.7tc combo is a peach on my D300 including BIFs.

That's what I need to hear Russ to add to my "worries" - it's what I really want BUT I expected to see a 300 f4 VR by now

so you reckon that it is good with the 1.7x - would that push the f stop up to f8 or just a bit below - I could live with that

Back