XZ-1, how's it in low light.

All depends on your style of photography mate. You are the best judge, of course! for instance 14mm f2.5 on m43 is very shallow dof compare to 6mm on 1/1.7 type with f1.8 for street photography. Still its subjective :)

the 14mm panny lens is suberb, excellent value.
you will get better high ISO out of the larger sensor no doubt of that
if the combo of the GF2 and 14mm is small enough and light enough and costs the same or less
and you do not need a zoom
go for it

Here's another option to ponder. Canon S95 for $180.

Canon Direct Store- PowerShot S95 Refurbished

I pullled the trigger on this. I'll see how it compares. It should be very much like the LX5 that didn't make the cut but the LX5 was pretty much GF2 sized. This is almost as small as my TX5. It's going to be tough stepping down from 10fps to 2fps. I tend to use the 10fps a lot on the TX5.

I had the S95 for a while and I thought it was a great little camera. The only thing that bothered me, relatively speaking, is that there seemed to be no mitigation or correction for things like flare and chromatic aberrations. But that doesn't have to be a deal-breaker. And if pocketablity is your top priority, you can't beat it.

While I have a Canon SX230 superzoom compact, when I want a small, quality camera-lens combo with me, I usually reach for my Olympus E-PM1 with the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 on it. Read into that what you will.

Back