Yellowstone and Grand Tetons

We were there about fifteen years ago and decided to head back. Some of the geysers and pools have been permanently damaged as a result of people throwing garbage or coins into them. Most of the litter I saw looked like the kind of stuff that gets blown away rather than deliberately thrown so maybe things have improved though there are still lots of signs everywhere.

There's still plenty of stupidity around though. We watched two guys walking right up to a grazing bison near old faithful. When it charged them after they got too close the first one got away and the second one was knocked over. Fortunately for him the bison went back to grazing otherwise he would have been in serious trouble. The depth of human stupidity is really amazing.

Olli, I spotted these first over on Flickr - such a wonderful series. I'm embarrassed to admit that I have yet to visit there. Thanks so much for posting them here.

But where are you going to now?????? Did I miss your next port of call announcement?

Thanks BB. We went there with my wife's mum. It was her first visit and she's 75, so there's time yet:)

I mentioned in passing somewhere that I was moving on but haven't 'announced' it as such. We're leaving here in a month's time, end of June, and heading to Manila for the next three years (with a brief stop over in Tokyo on the way there which I'm very excited about, never having visited.) I'm hoping to start blogging properly again as soon as possible after I get there. I'll be at maniladays.tumblr.com though right now there's nothing to see.

Thanks, olli for letting us/me know your plans. Wow, no "moss" growing under your collective feet, eh? Your collection of photos from around the world must be huge!

Tokyo will be exciting and possibly a tad overwhelming but filled with photo ops. Manilla - a whole new world temperature wise and everything else.

Ah, OK tumblr - I have to get into that I used to have an account. Will you add that to your signature line because I have no memory.;) I'd really like to get into the habit of following you.

I would have an even better collection if I had been in to photography when we lived in Ireland. We covered most of central and western Europe over the years but I only have a few pictures from a few locations to show for it - maybe that can be a retirement plan:)

The weather in Manila is the one thing we're not looking forward to - hot, humid, and regular rain and thunderstorms - but we'll cope.

I decided to switch to Tumblr because Google's policy towards Blogger which I always used previously is one of neglect as they try to push us all onto G+. I've been experimenting with a few alternatives like Wordpress and Ghost but I don't really want to have to bother with hosting and there are a couple of third party businesses that do very nice and highly adaptable Tumblr themes for very reasonable money. The pixels and places blog in my signature is on Tumblr and works just fine. No doubt Yahoo will be trying to monetize Tumblr at some point but I expect they will do this via advertising on the dashboard rather than on individual blogs.

I will add the new one to my list when it's up and running.

Back