1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Your favorite focal length on M4/3

Discussion in 'Micro Four Thirds Forum' started by Ghosthunter, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    Trying to decide what focal length lens (Prime) to go for for my Pen's. I have 50mm f1.8, 35mm f2.4 29mm f2.8 & 28mm f2.8 but nothing less than that. I have the 14-42mm which i will use to see what i prefer but wondered what you guy's preferred. When i had a GF-1 i did love the 20mm f1.7 so thinking that may be the best option even though it's not a retro rangefinder lens. I have said in the past that if i could only have 1 camera and 1 lens that it would be a M4/3 body and 20mm f1.7 lens!

Anyhoo what length get's you going? :eek:

2. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
    I like my 50mm for portraits. That's probably my most used FL. I use my 16mm on my NEX and that's a lot of fun, too. I am hoping Oly might release a 12mm prime this year. I've also shot with my Takumar 135mm, which is a charmer coupled with these cameras. Mostly for local "parklife" shots (that's "wildlife" in the park).

3. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
    Right now I'm loving the 17mm on my E-P1. I like it as much as the 14mm on the kit lens.

4. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group

Jul 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    I have several Voigtlander rangefinder lenses that I use, if I had to whittle it down to one it would be the 15mm, f/4.5 lens.

Barrie

5. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    If I had to pick one focal length in ANY camera, it would be about 35mm (in full frame equivalent), which would be the 17 on m43. I'm real glad I don't have to pick one focal length, because I like everything south of about 20-25 a LOT and find plenty of uses for longer stuff as well. And, regardless, what I (or anyone else) like should have NOTHING to do with what YOU might prefer. What kind of stuff do you find yourself drawn to shooting? When you use a kit zoom, do you find a lot of your shots clustered around any particular focal length? Let these be your guide, not what someone else might like.

-Ray

6. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    my favourite is often the one that's at home

7. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    Well I'm looking for a Rangefinder size lens for my E-PL2 and i prefer (On M4/3) 40mm and below but want something around 21-25mm i think for general walk about and nice vistas. I go to the coast quite a lot during the summer so something that will capture the seaside & street will be ideal. I have a Vivitar 28mm which is a pretty nice focal length but IQ isn't that great plus it's a std size and not small like i want. I will get the Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 at some point but something f/2.8 or faster would be really good. At lease i have the 14-42 to see what fits.