your worst Christmas Quiz Questions

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by BillN, Dec 25, 2010.

1. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    we always have them - at the table - between courses - just finished the first course - 5:30 pm - OK the worst question so far:

What is horizontal wine tasting?

your answers please?

2. Grant

Grant SC Veteran

Nov 12, 2010
    Lunenburg Nova Scotia
    Tasting wines from the same vintage!

3. Brian

Brian SC Top Veteran S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Laying down and drinking wine with a straw.

4. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    Unfortunately Grant is correct

tasting wines from the same vintage but from different Chateaux

[​IMG]

5. Grant

Grant SC Veteran

Nov 12, 2010
    Lunenburg Nova Scotia

"Unfortunately" … ?!?! … pout. :eek:

I think tasting wine horizontally, vertically, or generally is all good so no misfortune there. :rolleyes:

6. Fuddlestack

Fuddlestack SC Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    Alsace, France
    I have bought wines at vineyards all over France and live in the middle of a wine-growing region, but I've yet to hear a vigneron speak of dégustation horizontale. To quote the infant Ash from The Crow Road, it sounds like a load of bollocks. And affected bollocks at that.

7. Grant

Grant SC Veteran

Nov 12, 2010
    Lunenburg Nova Scotia
    I strongly suspect you are right. My vast knowledge of wine trivia has been acquired from my brother-in-law, he is a collector. He often feeds me copious quantities of wine and as he pours he talks about bouquet, clarity, vintage, and vintners and all I think is, "keep it coming" In the end, when it comes to wine all I know is, if I like the particular wine or not, not to drink to much, and a bunch of useless trivia and I think that is were the bollocks part is.

8. Fuddlestack

Fuddlestack SC Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    Alsace, France
    The most profound piece of wine lore I ever heard was that there were no great wine, great terroirs or great vintages; there are only great bottles. Originally said in French, where grand means large more often than great does.