Canon You've gotta think Canon Rebel line is nearing it's end

wt21

Hall of Famer
Having been a user of the XTi, XSi, T1i and T2i, I have to think the traditional crop DSLR Rebel is nearing end of life. To me, the T4i review is not that great

Just Posted: Canon EOS 650D / EOS Rebel T4i review: Digital Photography Review

Focus hunting in Live View. Weaker high ISO performance than the OMD. Middling video modes. Large RAW files (18MP and 14 bit), slightly lower DR than peers. Here's DPRs weakness list

Slow 'hybrid AF' performance in live view and video modes (compared to mirrorless competition)
Slightly higher noise levels than its peers
Default dynamic range lags a bit behind its peers
Using flash with Auto ISO enabled results in ISO 400 even in bright light conditions
Cannot configure common live view and movie mode options independently
AF illuminator integrated into flash (must have flash engaged to use it)
Shorter battery life than other DSLRs in its class

I'm sure they can still sell more, but where is that line headed, given all the mirrorless alternatives, Sony SLT and Nikon's stronger offerings (if you still want a mirror) in the D5000, etc.

I loved my Rebels (especially the XTi) but time marches on, and the Rebels haven't really kept pace.

I agree, and I think Canon agree with you too. After all, they now have the EOS M, which is really a mirrorless 650D/T4i. I think the Rebel line will gradually be phased out as the EOS M line gets fleshed out.

My guess is that their CDAF algorithm needs work. They also might not be scanning the sensor as quickly as Pany/Oly does.

IMHO, I think what the Nikon 1 series employs will end up being the best of both worlds.

I think in terms of bodies, we're very close to CSC's matching the DSLR's in every regard (there're already CSC's matching or surpassing the vast majority of DSLR's in one or more regards, but none yet that really match them on all points, with the OM-D coming closest to that ideal). However, with the huuuuuuuuuuuge amount of lenses having been bought, particularly for Canon and Nikon's DSLR systems, we'll probably see DSLR sales remain strong for years to come; even if adapters are released that allow CSC's to have the same performance with the DSLR lenses, that won't help CSC sales very much because the body-adapter-lens combination will no longer have a significant size advantage over a DSLR.

For most consumers who don't have a DSLR yet, or haven't expaned their system beyond the kit lens yet, I think we've already reached the point where CSC's are making more sense than DSLR's.

the interesting thing with the Nikon 1 is the sensor size. V. small. So, if it front focuses or back focuses or misses focus a bit, who cares? DOF is HUGE. Have we seen this fast, on-sensor PDAF work yet with a larger sensor? Canon's version is accurate, but dog slow.

My guess is that their CDAF algorithm needs work. They also might not be scanning the sensor as quickly as Pany/Oly does.

IMHO, I think what the Nikon 1 series employs will end up being the best of both worlds.

I wouldn't say the Rebel days are over just yet. Until there's a solid lineup of CSC lenses, I would think there will still be plenty of people choosing Rebels as their entry into DSLR photography, particularly those who are looking for sport/wildlife options. (Or Nikon/Pentax/Sony equivalents.)

My first Rebel on it's way. XSI, with 50mm. Very curious, and a bit of trepidation.

My XSi was the first DSLR I ever owned - and I still use it. It's a great camera and paired with a 50mm, you won't be disappointed.

Okay, here's my guess: in 2 years' time, the majority of "first time" system buyers will be getting a CSC instead of a DSLR. As the visibility of CSC's and the profitability of making lenses for them increases, current DSLR owners will move to CSC's in greater numbers, but it'll be around 5 years before CSC's outsell DSLR's altogether, and in 8 years' time DSLR's will be a niche product.

My first Rebel on it's way. XSI, with 50mm. Very curious, and a bit of trepidation.

Worry not, that is my main camera though I do have the G12 and a bunch of film cameras. The XSi has been a little tank and while I am not hard on it I've taken a LOT of photos and it keeps doing what I need it to. I think you will enjoy it.

One GREAT thing about DSLRs is that you can leave them on, and they don't eat your batteries! That's one thing I miss.

For balance it might be worth listing the positive points in the review too. Both lists need to be taken in context, and are relative. Every camera will have weaknesses, but in this case at least I don't see them pointing to the camera being weak overall. It will be able to produce very pleasing photographs at a good price, with ease of use and a very deep array of supporting lenses and other gear.

I don't feel that the 650D is a bad camera, no more so than you would classify it's predecessors or most other modern cameras as bad cameras. However, my feeling is that for a late 2012 model DSLR it is not a particularly great camera. By that I mean: Do I really want to go and spend my new camera dollars on it compared to it's nearest competitors? Looking at the bare specs I see only the new AF (but NOT the sensor-based AF!) as a real improvement. Nothing else really stands out for me. The presence of an articulated touchscreen would usually have me foaming at the mouth but on the 650D it would be unwieldy to operate due to the overall weight of the camera fitted with my favourite lenses, and a touch shutter would be quite frustrating when combined with very slow live-view AF. What the 650D will do is make the 600D (newly demoted to an entry-level model) even better value. That is the benefit of incremental upgrades to those who can resist jumping in straight away.

Back