Film Zone Plate Disaster - Help??

Checked RFF, a lot recommend Rodinal [Agfa] But not seeing that available here, others D76. And sent you a pm. Btw, tap or faucet both work, I is smarts, kinda.

Chemicals:

Developer (whatever you choose, it is always good to experiment.)
Fixer
FotoFlo (a super soap type stuff for your final rinse)

Optional Chemicals:
Hypo Clearing Agent (a liquid chemical which removes fixer, shortens wash time)

Hardware:

Gallon Jugs (2), one for developer, one for fixer
Thermometer (1)
Graduate (1), just easier to have a dedicated utensil in one place than using your food measuring cup.
Development tank (1) I suggest stainless steel tank and reel(s), tougher to learn on but uses less developer and one gets better circulation.

Optional Hardware:
squeegee (fingers work fine)
film clips (weighted clips for use when drying film, clothes pins work also)
changing bag (a light-tight bag used for loading film from cassette to reel, otherwise you gotta find a 100% completely dark room)
film washing tank (a cylinder with a hose attached which you drop in your film reels, gives a better wash than a developer tank wash)
film dryer

Important:
When air drying film, choose the most dust free area you have available. Typically, the bathroom is the most dust free area in the house.

Good Luck,
Gary

hehehe ask a question at rff or apug and you'll get as many different recommendations as you get replies :)

the "received wisdom" seems to be that if you use Rodinal with TriX your grain will be "too big" ... hmmm ... too big for what, though?
Rodinal is easy to use (mix it , pour it in the tank, dump it) and lasts a very long time. But once you've mixed your D76, you can use it in exactly the same way ... I think it would work out at about 60¢ a roll for me to develop using D76 on that basis. Probably a bit less in the US where stuff is cheaper.

Back